I am not sure what to say about 2016. In some ways, it was not my best year, and in others it was. This year, a lot of events, both positive and negative that has happened. There was a lot that I have gained and learned about myself and what I am looking for in life, and in this blog.
Just to recap here are my goals for 2016.
1) I would love to read 150 books this year. That is what I placed on Goodreads for my challenge, and for an added bonus I would love to see if I can get to 200 books. I am mainly focusing on getting to 150 books this year.
I was able to make it to the 150 bookmark. I barely made this mark. I believe I had about 24 left of the year when I finally reached 150 books. There was a lot that I have learned about myself with this kind of goal.
The first lesson was motivation. I actually had some pretty heavy reading slumps in 2016. Some of them I believe were created because I was so far behind in my Goodreads reading challenge goal. Not only that, but Goodreads reminded me constantly how far behind I was. In the beginning, I did the math. It was not that bad. I would have to read about 3 books a week, in order to achieve my goal. When I looked back at 2015 it was doable. I truly believe that I would be able to easily cover 3 books a week. I was even planning four books a week. It was almost completing a book ever other day. However, I never planned for the events in 2016 to affect my ability to read.
The second lesson that I learned, was that this goal affects what kind of book that I would read in 2016. This was the year of short books. I barely read anything over 300 pages. according to Goodreads, my shortest book was 23 pages, but my longest book was 667 pages, and that book was mostly in pictures. When you look into the average length of a book that I would read in 2016, it was 168 pages. Even though I was happy with some of the books that I have read, I was not happy with what I was reading. I felt that I wanted to read a longer book, but I was stopping myself from doing so in order to make it to that reading goal.
2)Similar to last year in having 1 post a week. I decided that I will be a bit more specific. If you do the math, that is 52 posts this year. With my unique wording, I was not sure if I succeeded or failed this resolution. However, this year it will not be the same. I would love to do at least one post a week with no more than two weeks of no posting in between. Meaning, that I can have a 2-week break, but no more between one post and the next.
Let me be honest here, I have failed this goal. Yes, I have made it to my goal of 52 blog post, but I did not post every week. To tell you the truth I am not counting the month of December. It took me a while, but in the month of December, I realize that I was failing in this goal because I was too busy trying to keep up with the previous one, the reading goal. In trying to balance the two, I realize that I was making the similar posts, and I got away to what this blog was really all about the book reviews. That in itself was making me unhappy. Even though in 2016 I actually tried and did a lot of blogging, I just did not do my best blogging, and that is not okay.
3) I would also like to improve on my upkeep on both my Facebook and Twitter accounts. Unlike last year, I will add the stipulation that I need 1 additional post per week that is beyond my usual “Look What I Have Posted On My Blog” posts. I will also give a two-week leeway, similar to my previous resolution.
I also failed this. I ended up putting too much on my plate in 2016, and this was not something that I was able to accomplish. I even added Instagram into the mix. As crazy as it is, I am enjoying the world of bookstagram. It is working out for mini reviews and showing what I am currently and actively reading.
4) I would love to cut down my DNF Pile. I have learned so much this year about my DNF pile. I would like to tackle this pile and make sure that it will be smaller than what it is right now, which is 10 books long.
Let us take a moment to die of laughter. No really take this time to laugh now.
2015/2016 me was adorable and had such good intentions and hopes for the coming year. but if I was, to be honest, I not only failed I epically failed this resolution. I am now currently reading 22 books on Goodreads, 20 of them I have at least DNF’d. Instead of cutting it down, I doubled that pile.
5) I would love to read one of my books from my Bucket List TBR.
This was an epic year for the Bucket List TBR. This year I have read two books and read half of a series from that list. I have taken care of The Time Machine, Because of Mr. Terrupt and two out of the four main books from The Lunar Chronicles (should I count six since there are two spin-off books?). In fact, I am on the third book. This is the one thing that I am proud of. I have really tackled that list.
So let us move on to 2017 resolutions.
- I want to read a review 50 books. I am taking on what I have learned from 2016 and going back to my roots. I want to read for the fun of it, and I also want to take the time to make reviews on the books that I read. I want to a have the fun and enjoy reading whatever kind of book that I want to read.
- Originally I wanted to put down that I wanted to have 100 blog posts, but I realize that is not what I want. I was to write good quality posts. I want to feel good and happy about the work that I publish. I am okay with the post that I made in 2016, but I just don’t want to feel okay. I want to feel good about what I publish, not just pride.
- I am keeping a resolution from last year. I do want to upkeep with my Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Definitely, check me out and follow me. Hopefully, you too can help me keep my goal of doing at least one post a week on all three social media sites. Click on the links to see what I have been up too lately. Make suggestions there. I really do appreciate the feedback.
- I would like to read more books out of my Bucket List TBR. Even if it is one book, I would be really happy that I have worked on this. I do not care if I just finish Cress this year, it does mean that I am working on completing my reading bucket list.
- I want to enjoy more out of life. I realize that last year I was not happy because I felt trapped. I feel horrible saying this, but I felt trapped in helping my mom take care of my grandma. If I wanted to do something I would ask her, and then I would feel bad that I left her to go do something fun. It was this weird cycle where I felt selfish fo wanting to have some fun in my life. But this year I want it to be different. I want to enjoy more out of life. I want to be happy.
I realize that two of my resolutions I cannot measure, and I am not sure how to go about with the reflection on it, but if you have suggestions or questions that I can answer in both July and December of this year, that would be great. You can post them down below.
I hope that you 2016 went well for you and that you are kicking 2017 in the butt.
I will see you next time. Until then, have some epic adventures and happy reading!